History of the Church
The earliest recorded meeting of a group of Baptists in Holmer Green is 1798. The first Baptist Church however in the village was a small brick and flint structure built in 1869. At that time Holmer Green was a small hamlet of some fifty cottages, situated between the Buckinghamshire towns of High Wycombe and Amersham. The population was about 150 people, the employment being mainly in agriculture or fruit growing.
(Used with the permission of Stuart King)
Photo of the old chapel and of an early Church Anniversary Day
The church building was altered and added to over the next 130 years. By the late 1980's, the village had grown to a thriving community comprising modern housing estates and a population of over 4,500. The number of people going to the Baptist Church on a regular basis had also considerably increased, and the existing building was becoming inadequate, both in terms of size and structure. The members had a vision of a brand new Baptist Church and enquiries were made to establish whether this was a feasible idea.
Revd Hedley Feast
It was feasible, and under the leadership and ministry of Revd Hedley Feast, the members were encouraged to work and pray for the fulfillment of this vision and the task of fund-raising started.
Hedley moved back to Oxfordshire in 1993, but fund-raising continued and by 1999, planning permission had been obtained for a new site and sufficient funds were available to commence the project. After Hedley the church appointed the Revd Roger Crawshaw.
Revd Roger Crawshaw
It was decided that the year 2000 would be an appropriate time for the opening of the new church, and construction work began. The new building was completed by the end of 1999, and the first worship service was held on 16th January 2000 - a great time of celebration and thanksgiving to God.
The old chapel, the last service there (Jan 2000), the new church being built (1999) & completed
Since the opening of the church it has been used not only by the church but by various other organisations, including walking clubs, children's groups and youth groups.
From March 2001 to January 2004, Revd Graeme Harrison was the minister and it is recognised that in this period there was a growth in the spirituality of the church and also an increase in the number of people attending, especially for the youth groups.
Revd Graham Harrison
After a period of 18 months without a minister Revd Mike Pons was inducted to this post in September 2005. He left us in July 2012 and we are now actively seeking a new minister with God's help.
Revd Mike Pons